We here at Abnormal Use have never been to a Bob Evans restaurant. However, according to a lawsuit filed earlier this month in West Virginia federal court, two elderly West Virginians became ill and died as a result of eating meatloaf at a Bob Evans restaurant. (Source). According to the complaint, Virginia “Ginny” and Punk Starcher fell violently ill nine hours after eating meatloaf, mashed potatoes, broccoli, and a roll. The decedents called 911, and they were allegedly told by emergency room workers that they had suffered food poisoning from consuming tainted meat from Bob Evans. Two months later, Ginny died in hospice care and Punk passed away sometime thereafter in intensive care. Their children, Mark and Ann Starcher, sued Bob Evans Restaurants for $250,000 in medical bills and for pain, suffering, emotional distress, mental anguish, and the loss of ability to enjoy life.
As you might suspect, Bob Evans Resturants normally does not comment on pending litigation, but through, Scott Taggart, a spokesperson for the company, said that this was “an appropriate and important exception” to that rule. While Bob Evans sympathized with the family for their loss, Taggart provided that the company had made “a thorough review of the alleged claims in this matter, and [had found] quite simply, there is no basis to the allegations contained in the complaint and the suit is entirely without merit.” We’ll be keeping our eyes on this one.